A letter to a friend explaining about online chatrooms.

A

AkshayGoodOne

This is a letter I once wrote to a friend, recounting my experience with online chat-rooms. Felt it wouldn't be a problem sharing here. Have no reason for the same....

Hi,

I hope you are doing just well and embracing your life to the fullest.

Assuming that you remember our previous meet at an online chat room I still don't know the name of (it just appeared on the Google search), you proposed a very classic, yet intriguing way in which we may share our thoughts. This is the mode people used to talk through a couple of centuries ago - People who wrote great literature. This idea was really a fresh breeze amidst the era of whizzing DMs, Live Feeds and Notifications. Though this might seem an outdated approach to many, I believe people still follow this mode - Only that now, our letters have become byte-sized, and responses to them are but rapid and impetuous.

I feel I should just give a brief introduction of myself. I promise I'll keep it short, and try not to make you yawn.

My name is Akshay. I am an Indian - an Indian who is very curious to know how people beyond his kind are, who dreams to travel the world someday, just not the attractions, but the respective commonness every land has to offer. The people, the food, the culture - I just wish to know the best and the worst of each. We see movies and photographs of places, but maybe they're not enough to edify about and bring people closer to humanity itself. That connectivity, that intermingling is however, necessary. Well, presently, I am still under my parents' care, shuddering a bit to manoeuvre my own life in complete sense, with shackles and necklaces of responsibility and expectations still laden on this young self. But I believe I'll embark on this journey someday. For now, I just employ my dreams to keep fuelling this thought.

As I was just thinking what valuable stories I might have which I should probably write about in this email, I bleakly remember, you said you seldom visit chat rooms and might not have come across its myriad aspects. I don't have any striking intention to belittle your understanding of chat rooms. It's just that I believe I have some anecdotes of mine which might make this letter contextual or in any way, just readable.

I wasn't acquainted of this concept of online chatting until the beginning of June this year. I had come to Ontario, Canada for my summer vacations, at my sister's house. Both my sister and my brother-in-law are working, so Monday through Friday, every week, I was left to babysit my four year old nephew. I would watch movies with him and keep him and myself entertained. He's really cute btw. I would also talk to my chums and buddies back in Agra (my hometown) over the phone a few days in a week. But since I was just at the other corner of the world, they woke up when I slept and vice-versa. My nephew too, was fixated upon 'Boss Baby' and would force me to put that same movie on every day. In short, I got bored.

Hearing my woes, my best friend suggested me I visit a chat room.

I went to Omegle one day. The interface was quite reasonable - Two windows for video feeds where you could see yourself as well as the other person and a box to type in your messages. Another button was that of "Next", by the virtue of which you could skip an unwanted conversation. My first day was fine. I passed through many people, greeted them, told them it was my first, waved a Hi or a Bye, depending on what they wanted. I saw people from all ages, all nations possible. Some people stopped by, talked to me for a while, smiled at me, wished me luck. Others, skipped even before I could see their face. The experience was somehow really unprecedented. I barely remember how I felt, but it just kept me glued to my computer screen.

Late night that day, I met a guy from New York perhaps. I could only see him right from his lips to the bottom of his chest. His name was Lee and he was a couple of years older than me. The connection you just happen to make with some people! We kept talking for hours. We started with politics- We ranted Trump together, discussed about Modi. Then we went to religion- I told him my view, he told me his and we both ended up confirming we're atheists. We finally went to Sex. He told me he was a bisexual and even though I never understood how he explained his orientations, I seemed to understand and even feel him. He joked about going to Las Vegas someday with me, hire a cougar, and collectively explore sex. He shared his encounters, being extremely shocked I was still a virgin. I shared my own fantasies about being intimate with someone. Note that in this conversation spanning around four hours, we disconnected and cursed Omegle six times. Though the match up by the site is random, we managed to get reconnected every time still. It was already morning when we finally wished each other good night.

Now, if you are under the impression my experience was all nice, then let me tell you I came across many frustrated people too. People stroking their dicks, in hopes of chancing upon Cam sex just like that, People showing a middle finger just for no reason, People lost in their own phones and looking away even when I said Hi, People requesting me to remove my shirt or flash my thing for them, People with a lot other people, People playing deafening music, People doing their day-jobs, Freelance artists, People playing pranks. Oh yes, I came across a "perv hunter", (perv for pervert I guess). He kept his webcam turned off, pretended to be a 15 year old girl and offered to open her cam and undress for me. If I said 'yes', I guess they would've shamed me and called me names. But I said no, and they left me saying I was good.

Everyone was there. I talked to a man eighty years old from Ohio, siblings eleven years old from Philippines, a fifty year old, very offended woman from New Jersey. She said she hated Canadian people and that she had a bad experience there. I talked to a girl from London who told me a long history of names in her family and on was basis she was named. Her name was Nyla and she said all women in her ancestry had names ending with an A.

I also kept in touch with a girl from Connecticut. We'd just bump into each other every night, for three days. She was humorous, had a round face with a sleek nose. She looked like those women in Renaissance paintings. She once killed a spider right in front of me and that too, in her own bunker she made under her bed. It was well-decorated, filled with fire-fly lights and had its own wall clock and a compass. She even had a dog. She really knew how to play upon references of bits in our conversation we spoke a few minutes ago. In order we could keep bumping into each other by fortune, we chose our common interest as "Tom and Jerry" (Omegle has an option to meet people with common interests). This worked for a couple more days. After that, I never saw her.

This new interest of mine had only some consequences in my real life. I would sleep late and wake up in the afternoon, play with my nephew, visit the nearby library, have dinner with family and then back on this site for the whole night.

A very peculiar meet up and rather one of the most amusing ones was with that of a guy from I don't know where in United States. I remember this conversation only by its subject, so I can't jot a detailed account of what happened. But still, I remember enough of it. This person was asking for consultancy.

This guy went into a bar that night, picked up a hooker, drank enough, rode home, hitting a priest's car midway. The priest said nothing. He came home, the girl began to talk about her personal life and all the problems she was facing. They made love and slept. This guy woke up in the middle of the night, came to Omegle and bumped into me. He told his story, the girl was probably still sleeping there. He thought the next morning, the girl may express her romantic interest towards him. Now, he wondered whether he should affirm or refuse, because on one hand he had grown some feelings for her too and sort of liked the possibility and on the other hand, he felt any relationship with a prostitute would degrade his social reputation. He had just taken the exam for army.

I came up with a possible solution. I said to him he should just consider friendship, tell her, if she proposes, that he needs time to consider and decide, till then they could remain friends. In that time, a few months, he could just date other people and replace feelings for her with feelings for some other person he'd have been dating. Or he could convince himself being with her is okay in that time. If not, nothing happened, right? He seemed relaxed and sorted out, thanked me and went off.

I remember some other people and their stories, but I observe this letter is getting really long. So I might need to stop here for now. But, this train of nostalgia really exhilarated me as I recounted them here. I'll be waiting for what you have to say.

Take care and have fun.

Regards

Akshay

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a letter I once wrote to a friend, recounting my experience with online chat-rooms. Felt it wouldn't be a problem sharing here. Have no reason for the same....

Hi,

I hope you are doing just well and embracing your life to the fullest.

Assuming that you remember our previous meet at an online chat room I still don't know the name of (it just appeared on the Google search), you proposed a very classic, yet intriguing way in which we may share our thoughts. This is the mode people used to talk through a couple of centuries ago - People who wrote great literature. This idea was really a fresh breeze amidst the era of whizzing DMs, Live Feeds and Notifications. Though this might seem an outdated approach to many, I believe people still follow this mode - Only that now, our letters have become byte-sized, and responses to them are but rapid and impetuous.

I feel I should just give a brief introduction of myself. I promise I'll keep it short, and try not to make you yawn.

My name is Akshay. I am an Indian - an Indian who is very curious to know how people beyond his kind are, who dreams to travel the world someday, just not the attractions, but the respective commonness every land has to offer. The people, the food, the culture - I just wish to know the best and the worst of each. We see movies and photographs of places, but maybe they're not enough to edify about and bring people closer to humanity itself. That connectivity, that intermingling is however, necessary. Well, presently, I am still under my parents' care, shuddering a bit to manoeuvre my own life in complete sense, with shackles and necklaces of responsibility and expectations still laden on this young self. But I believe I'll embark on this journey someday. For now, I just employ my dreams to keep fuelling this thought.

As I was just thinking what valuable stories I might have which I should probably write about in this email, I bleakly remember, you said you seldom visit chat rooms and might not have come across its myriad aspects. I don't have any striking intention to belittle your understanding of chat rooms. It's just that I believe I have some anecdotes of mine which might make this letter contextual or in any way, just readable.

I wasn't acquainted of this concept of online chatting until the beginning of June this year. I had come to Ontario, Canada for my summer vacations, at my sister's house. Both my sister and my brother-in-law are working, so Monday through Friday, every week, I was left to babysit my four year old nephew. I would watch movies with him and keep him and myself entertained. He's really cute btw. I would also talk to my chums and buddies back in Agra (my hometown) over the phone a few days in a week. But since I was just at the other corner of the world, they woke up when I slept and vice-versa. My nephew too, was fixated upon 'Boss Baby' and would force me to put that same movie on every day. In short, I got bored.

Hearing my woes, my best friend suggested me I visit a chat room.

I went to Omegle one day. The interface was quite reasonable - Two windows for video feeds where you could see yourself as well as the other person and a box to type in your messages. Another button was that of "Next", by the virtue of which you could skip an unwanted conversation. My first day was fine. I passed through many people, greeted them, told them it was my first, waved a Hi or a Bye, depending on what they wanted. I saw people from all ages, all nations possible. Some people stopped by, talked to me for a while, smiled at me, wished me luck. Others, skipped even before I could see their face. The experience was somehow really unprecedented. I barely remember how I felt, but it just kept me glued to my computer screen.

Late night that day, I met a guy from New York perhaps. I could only see him right from his lips to the bottom of his chest. His name was Lee and he was a couple of years older than me. The connection you just happen to make with some people! We kept talking for hours. We started with politics- We ranted Trump together, discussed about Modi. Then we went to religion- I told him my view, he told me his and we both ended up confirming we're atheists. We finally went to Sex. He told me he was a bisexual and even though I never understood how he explained his orientations, I seemed to understand and even feel him. He joked about going to Las Vegas someday with me, hire a cougar, and collectively explore sex. He shared his encounters, being extremely shocked I was still a virgin. I shared my own fantasies about being intimate with someone. Note that in this conversation spanning around four hours, we disconnected and cursed Omegle six times. Though the match up by the site is random, we managed to get reconnected every time still. It was already morning when we finally wished each other good night.

Now, if you are under the impression my experience was all nice, then let me tell you I came across many frustrated people too. People stroking their dicks, in hopes of chancing upon Cam sex just like that, People showing a middle finger just for no reason, People lost in their own phones and looking away even when I said Hi, People requesting me to remove my shirt or flash my thing for them, People with a lot other people, People playing deafening music, People doing their day-jobs, Freelance artists, People playing pranks. Oh yes, I came across a "perv hunter", (perv for pervert I guess). He kept his webcam turned off, pretended to be a 15 year old girl and offered to open her cam and undress for me. If I said 'yes', I guess they would've shamed me and called me names. But I said no, and they left me saying I was good.

Everyone was there. I talked to a man eighty years old from Ohio, siblings eleven years old from Philippines, a fifty year old, very offended woman from New Jersey. She said she hated Canadian people and that she had a bad experience there. I talked to a girl from London who told me a long history of names in her family and on was basis she was named. Her name was Nyla and she said all women in her ancestry had names ending with an A.

I also kept in touch with a girl from Connecticut. We'd just bump into each other every night, for three days. She was humorous, had a round face with a sleek nose. She looked like those women in Renaissance paintings. She once killed a spider right in front of me and that too, in her own bunker she made under her bed. It was well-decorated, filled with fire-fly lights and had its own wall clock and a compass. She even had a dog. She really knew how to play upon references of bits in our conversation we spoke a few minutes ago. In order we could keep bumping into each other by fortune, we chose our common interest as "Tom and Jerry" (Omegle has an option to meet people with common interests). This worked for a couple more days. After that, I never saw her.

This new interest of mine had only some consequences in my real life. I would sleep late and wake up in the afternoon, play with my nephew, visit the nearby library, have dinner with family and then back on this site for the whole night.

A very peculiar meet up and rather one of the most amusing ones was with that of a black guy from I don't know where in United States. I remember this conversation only by its subject, so I can't jot a detailed account of what happened. But still, I remember enough of it. This person was asking for consultancy.

This guy went into a bar that night, picked up a hooker, drank enough, rode home, hitting a priest's car midway. The priest said nothing. He came home, the girl began to talk about her personal life and all the problems she was facing. They made love and slept. This guy woke up in the middle of the night, came to Omegle and bumped into me. He told his story, the girl was probably still sleeping there. He thought the next morning, the girl may express her romantic interest towards him. Now, he wondered whether he should affirm or refuse, because on one hand he had grown some feelings for her too and sort of liked the possibility and on the other hand, he felt any relationship with a prostitute would degrade his social reputation. He had just taken the exam for army.

I came up with a possible solution. I said to him he should just consider friendship, tell her, if she proposes, that he needs time to consider and decide, till then they could remain friends. In that time, a few months, he could just date other people and replace feelings for her with feelings for some other person he'd have been dating. Or he could convince himself being with her is okay in that time. If not, nothing happened, right? He seemed relaxed and sorted out, thanked me and went off.

I remember some other people and their stories, but I observe this letter is getting really long. So I might need to stop here for now. But, this train of nostalgia really exhilarated me as I recounted them here. I'll be waiting for what you have to say.

Take care and have fun.

Regards

Akshay
You are an excellent writer. I hope you find this site to be more amusing than any other, as I have, and stay and grow and prosper. Make friends, enemies, and hell, maybe you'll stumble into a relationship. Do be wary of bots, scammers and catfish, as they do run rampant. There are quite a few of us who are interested in more than just sex, and enjoy spending our time just chatting and having a hell of a time. I hope you find all the joy I have found here.

You are an excellent writer. I hope you find this site to be more amusing than any other, as I have, and stay and grow and prosper. Make friends, enemies, and hell, maybe you'll stumble into a relationship. Do be wary of bots, scammers and catfish, as they do run rampant. There are quite a few of us who are interested in more than just sex, and enjoy spending our time just chatting and having a hell of a time. I hope you find all the joy I have found here.

Thank You, InvincibleLight. And yes, In a peculiar sense, I find this site really intriguing. This site is a perfect montage to the various faces (or you may say masks) people put on... One subtly differentiable from the other..To me, Its like a social experiment. :p You really get to learn from people, of all sorts. Thanks again for investing your valuable time into reading this.

Thank You, InvincibleLight. And yes, In a peculiar sense, I find this site really intriguing. This site is a perfect montage to the various faces (or you may say masks) people put on... One subtly differentiable from the other..To me, Its like a social experiment. :p You really get to learn from people, of all sorts. Thanks again for investing your valuable time into reading this.
No problem. I love hearing what people have to say. It teaches me other peoples' views and opinions, and I quite enjoy that knowledge.

Your experience on Omegle was very interesting. I've only spoken on chat sites similar to this one (i.e., not just random connection by the site, but a common set of rooms everyone goes into) and the Omegle in comparison sounds very frustrating, even if you do pop into some great conversation.

But after a moment of thought, it seems like just an accelerated version. I've come across people where there is an instantaneous synchronicity, an energetic hours-long conversation only to have them vanish forever. (Not that I consider them rude or anything, I'm sure I've inadvertently done the same by coming on the site at an unusual time.)

Again I had an instinctual reaction, this was a uniquely modern experience, but I imagine in a world without mass media meeting someone on the road or at an inn on your way (even a small distance long ago) would produce a similar experience.

Anyway, thanks for your words; I agree with IL, you write well and I found them stirring.

Your experience on Omegle was very interesting. I've only spoken on chat sites similar to this one (i.e., not just random connection by the site, but a common set of rooms everyone goes into) and the Omegle in comparison sounds very frustrating, even if you do pop into some great conversation.

But after a moment of thought, it seems like just an accelerated version. I've come across people where there is an instantaneous synchronicity, an energetic hours-long conversation only to have them vanish forever. (Not that I consider them rude or anything, I'm sure I've inadvertently done the same by coming on the site at an unusual time.)

Again I had an instinctual reaction, this was a uniquely modern experience, but I imagine in a world without mass media meeting someone on the road or at an inn on your way (even a small distance long ago) would produce a similar experience.

Anyway, thanks for your words; I agree with IL, you write well and I found them stirring.

Thanks Telemachus :D ... Everyone has different views on online chat-rooms, but maybe positive things can be derived from any experience.. We just need to mend our perspective accordingly...Thank you once again for investing your valuable time into reading this.

I find it interesting as you called it a social experiment as that is actual how I ended up here. I was doing a mini paper on chat sites and ended up becoming good friends with folks on another site which got turned into this one. Ive seen my friend group evolve and change and it has been such a fascinating experience. I am actually also a virgin and have learned that I am able to explore and make connections and learn so much while being here. Ive had conversations on politics, languages, cultures, food etc here and I can only hope that you have as much fun as I have had on here :)

I find it interesting as you called it a social experiment as that is actual how I ended up here. I was doing a mini paper on chat sites and ended up becoming good friends with folks on another site which got turned into this one. Ive seen my friend group evolve and change and it has been such a fascinating experience. I am actually also a virgin and have learned that I am able to explore and make connections and learn so much while being here. Ive had conversations on politics, languages, cultures, food etc here and I can only hope that you have as much fun as I have had on here :)

From one virgin to another :p, That deeper philosophical, connection of one soul to another, that cuddling, snuggling, playfulness, that attention, that sense of belonging makes for a deeper sense of satisfaction and overall happiness in life. If sex is a cake, then these things are the sugar. However beautiful the decoration, the cake would still taste bland without these.

This site has had a really worthwhile contribution into letting me grow as a more empathetic person, making me understand people and their tendencies. I feel people would do less desperate and silly things once they get in touch with the humanly aspect of everyone they reach to or be in presence of. Either you keep chasing your own fantasies, or have some responsibility and bring a real change in life, spreading love, happiness and fun in real sense. I enjoy it here very much.

PS : Fan, I love you. You're really a sweetheart <3, and save some chocolate for the next time :D

Last edited by a moderator:
From one virgin to another :p, That deeper philosophical, connection of one soul to another, that cuddling, snuggling, playfulness, that attention, that sense of belonging makes for a deeper sense of satisfaction and overall happiness in life. If sex is a cake, then these things are the sugar. However beautiful the decoration, the cake would still taste bland without these.

This site has had a really worthwhile contribution into letting me grow as a more empathetic person, making me understand people and their tendencies. I feel people would do less desperate and silly things once they get in touch with the humanly aspect of everyone they reach to or be in presence of. Either you keep chasing your own fantasies, or have some responsibility and bring a real change in life, spreading love, happiness and fun in real sense. I enjoy it here very much.
That was deep.

PS : Fan, I love you. You're really a sweetheart <3, and save some chocolate for the next time :D
I completely agree. Those who come here just for the sex aspect (read: bots and spam-y guests) end up missing out on the finer things in life and the real treat of the connections and relationships and friendships that can be built.

On the other hand, realizing just how much impact you can have on another person and the inherent responsibility that lies within that can be truly daunting...which is why I find or at least assume many try to avoid doing so.

I dont want anyone to see this as me shaming them for coming here to not create relationships because that is not the case at all and if you have fun that in itself is it's own treat. I just feel like there is something to be said about the accidental or purposeful connections that some may make here and as you said "spread love, happiness and fun". Im glad that you are enjoying your experience :)

PS: Heads up, I may just be using you to gain access to your art :p JK Lurv ya too. I'll always have chocolate for you :p

Back