I know that very well.
It doesn’t just happen.
People work to make it happen.

And people may realize it
But only at the last moment.
It’s real when someone they know
Is one of those people.

The people who run, crawl, swim, and crouch
In jungles, deserts, forests, mountains, plains, and cities.
Who shoot and are shot at, who kill and are killed.
All to protect tomorrow for those they hold dear.

It’s real when they see us go.
They wish they had more time with us.
More words to say, more feelings to express.
And in those last moment together…

Each person says goodbye in their own way.
But they all want one thing:
To be a little closer
For just a little longer.

To say more than can be said.
To show they care for us
Because they don't want to let go
So tomorrow can be a few moments closer

And perhaps last for just a little longer.

--
This one always makes my heart pound, especially when I wrote it. I always think about how I think of the people I care about the most, knowing there are many days coming when I may not come home alive, or other times thinking back to the days in my past that I should not have lived through. I always wonder whether those people care, and if they do, how much. I think about what they feel if they do care a lot about me, and this is what came from that. Also, if it's not evident already, this one is pretty personal because it is a harsh reminder of many things in my life; some are good, but many are things are quite painful.
--

Thank you for that beautiful poem. My mother died back in the end of August. Now, I just feel like I wish I had another conversation with her, a little bit longer, maybe advice on how to make her well. I know in the end I obeyed her wishes, she said she didn't want me to visit because she didn't want me to see her the way she was. I should have ignored her request so I could have been with her just a little longer.

Back