What's Cooking?

Should I keep this going?

• Total voters

PhotographerGuy

OFC Regular
I am going to try this one out. It seems there are a lot of us that love food. And with a global community, there is so much out there. As a once aspiring chef, I love to cook and share recipes.

So here goes. Let's try a thread where you can share recipes. They can come from anywhere, old family traditions, from cooking shows, things you create(d)...anywhere. Give us the recipe with ingredients and directions (as best as you can, I create dishes by feel and taste so it might not be exact). If you can include a pic that would be great. And if there is a story, go ahead. And please give a link to the website you might have gotten it from.

To start, I am a big fan of Alton Brown and the show Good Eats. Being from western New York originally, there is that great thing called Buffalo Wings. Here is Alton's version which is fantastic. Have fun and enjoy.

Alton Brown Wings.jpeg
Level: Easy
Ingredients
  • 12 whole chicken wings
  • 3 ounces unsalted butter
  • 1 small clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup hot sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions
Place a 6-quart saucepan with a steamer basket and 1-inch of water in the bottom, over high heat, cover and bring to a boil.

Remove the tips of the wings and discard or save for making stock. Using kitchen shears, or a knife, separate the wings at the joint. Place the wings into the steamer basket, cover, reduce the heat to medium and steam for 10 minutes. Remove the wings from the basket and carefully pat dry. Lay the wings out on a cooling rack set in a half sheet pan lined with paper towels and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Replace the paper towels with parchment paper. Roast on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the wings over and cook another 20 minutes or until meat is cooked through and the skin is golden brown.

While the chicken is roasting, melt the butter in a small bowl along with the garlic. Pour this along with hot sauce and salt into a bowl large enough to hold all of the chicken and stir to combine.

Remove the wings from the oven and transfer to the bowl and toss with the sauce. Serve warm.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/buffalo-wings-recipe-1937515.recipePrint

stuffed-zucchini-flowers-17484-1.jpeg

I don't actually cook, I bake, but if you love Italian food, you should try stuffed Zucchini flowers.

INGREDIENTS

18 male or female zucchini flowers
8 kalamata olives, halved, pitted
2 anchovies
8 small basil leaves
200g fresh ricotta
Vegetable or light olive oil, for deep-frying
Lemon wedges, to serve

BATTER

2/3 cup (100g) plain flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
150ml chilled light beer
1 eggwhite

METHOD
  • Step 1
    Holding a zucchini flower, use your thumbs to gently make a split in flower. Use your fingertips to snap off and discard yellow stamens in centre of flower. Repeat with remaining flowers.
  • Step 2
    Finely chop olives, anchovies and basil. Place in a bowl with ricotta and season to taste with pepper. Spoon a teaspoonful of ricotta mixture into centre of each flower, then twist petal ends to enclose. For batter, place flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Add oil and beer then whisk until a smooth batter forms. In another bowl, whisk eggwhite until soft peaks form then gently fold into batter.
  • Step 3
    Line a tray with paper towels. One-third fill a deep saucepan or deep-fryer with oil, then heat over medium heat until 180C, or a cube of bread browns in 15 seconds. Working in batches of 4, dip flowers, 1 at a time, into batter, allowing excess to drain off, then deep-fry for 2 minutes or until golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to tray. Repeat with remaining flowers and batter. Scatter with salt and serve with lemon wedges.

Ham Hock Terrine.

D72E4690-DC3E-4B25-A3EC-06F638007C1E.jpeg

Ingredients:

3 ham hocks on the bone, soaked overnight in cold water then drained

2 bay leaves

4 fresh thyme sprigs

1 tsp coriander seeds

1 tsp black peppercorns

1 large onion, quartered

4 tbsp white wine vinegar

50g gherkins, finely chopped

Large handful fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped, plus extra to garnish

Few sprigs fresh tarragon, chopped

Method:

Place the ham hocks in a large pan with the bay leaves, thyme, coriander seeds, peppercorns, onion and vinegar. Pour over enough cold water to cover. Bring to the boil and simmer very gently, uncovered, for about 2-2½ hours, until the hocks are tender and the meat flakes easily.

Leave the hocks to cool in the liquid for about 1 hour, then remove and set aside. Strain the liquid into a clean pan (discard the solids) and boil vigorously for 1 hour to reduce by three-quarters to about 600ml.

Line a 1.5-litre loaf tin or terrine with a double layer of cling film.

Remove the skin from the hocks, then shred the meat. Place in a
large bowl with the gherkins and chopped herbs. Mix well and season with plenty of black pepper. Pack into the tin or terrine and press down firmly.

Slowly pour in the reduced liquid and allow to settle throughout
the mixture. Cover with cling film and chill overnight. Garnish with
parsley, cut into thick slices and serve with crusty bread and a good
piccalilli.

Back