Favorite Book!

Sandrock

ViXxXeN's Sugar Dumplin'
Staff member
OFC Regular
Yeap, to piggy back off the movie thread, we are going to have a book one! Why? Why not! Besides, I do believe there are still people in the world that read...I think. Anywhooosss, my favorite book is actually a series (yes, i'm cheating. It's my thread!). That series is the Gotrek and Felix series from the Warhammer Universe.

-Awesome fight scenes? Yes!
-Insane, badass Dwarf seeking monsters to die in battle with? Yes!
-Reluctant Human sidekick who swore an Oath to write an epic death saga? Yes!
-Lots of shit getting killed? Double yes!

So, yeah, that is my pick, what is yours?

Dude. I haven't read that series but this post makes me feel much less inclined to deny that I have read the D'rizzt series or that my favorite book series is A Song of Ice and Fire. I don't know if I would recommend either and am not a person who reads as regularly as I once did but hey.

-Political Intrigue
-Better than the HBO series
-Tyrion isn't the coolest Lannister
-Jaime is best Lannister
-House Greyjoy rocks in the books.

Dude. I haven't read that series but this post makes me feel much less inclined to deny that I have read the D'rizzt series or that my favorite book series is A Song of Ice and Fire. I don't know if I would recommend either and am not a person who reads as regularly as I once did but hey.

-Political Intrigue
-Better than the HBO series
-Tyrion isn't the coolest Lannister
-Jaime is best Lannister
-House Greyjoy rocks in the books.

I have bought and read all the Song of Ice and Fire books, and I have bought and read most of the D'rizzt and other Forgotten Realms books. I would totally recommend both. For more fun fantasy stuff, I would also recommend the books set in the Shannara World by Terry Brooks. I think there are almost 20 books in the series now O-o

I have bought and read all the Song of Ice and Fire books, and I have bought and read most of the D'rizzt and other Forgotten Realms books. I would totally recommend both. For more fun fantasy stuff, I would also recommend the books set in the Shannara World by Terry Brooks. I think there are almost 20 books in the series now O-o

Have you read anything from the Dragonlance series. I used to read those quite a bit when I was younger.

Have you read anything from the Dragonlance series. I used to read those quite a bit when I was younger.

I have not, I do know of the series though. Sadly getting new books is a little harder for me as I live no where near Barnes and Nobles, like I once did when I lived in the city.

Just diving into Wheel of Time. About Seven books in and loving the shit out of it.

- strong female characters in a fantasy novel (what?)
- no romanticizing war and loss.
- hilarious lack of understanding of other genders
- addictive magic that can vote blow you up
- enough intrigue to keep things interesting without being sluggish

I do however have a huge number of books to work through in the next year or so, so this may change very fast.

Wheel of Time is typical high fantasy - big nasty dark man threatening to take over the world, on hero to save them all yadda yadda yadda. But the way it's done is what makes it stand out. A lot of detail into different cities and nations and their cultures. Great, flawed characters, probably most of them female tbh. It's pretty cool.
Also, men who use magic go insane and kill everyone, so the women hunt them down. Neat premise

Telltale Heart and the Conqueror Worm are my favorite from Poe. Hmm, not sure on the Wheel of Time you make it sound like a gender conflict is the key premise aside from some world building. I'll look at it.

Back