History Opinion Wanted

To clarify, do you speak of the typically 8 man deep, armed with 9 foot spear greek phalanx? Or the later Macedon sarissa phalanx?

Though to be honest, i'm picking the roman legion based on its ability to be tactically flexible and that they were designed to be self-sufficient, being able to build and maintain it's own camps, siege equipment, make it's own food stuff, etc

To clarify, do you speak of the typically 8 man deep, armed with 9 foot spear greek phalanx? Or the later Macedon sarissa phalanx?

Though to be honest, i'm picking the roman legion based on its ability to be tactically flexible and that they were designed to be self-sufficient, being able to build and maintain it's own camps, siege equipment, make it's own food stuff, etc
i was honestly only pondering their in battle capabilities . What got me thinking of this was that I was watching the German Police during the riots in Hamburg and was wondering if either of the formations could be applied in an effective manner .

Question was answered 2+ thousand years ago at the battle of Chaeronea. Roma Victa
Let's not forget about Heraclea, even though this was the first time the romans had to fight elephants.

But then there was also Zama and Pydna, so i suppose I'd have to agree.

Back