Favourite Video Game Thread

Been playing a game called SpaceChem which is a bloody incredible puzzle game. The guy who made it makes these beautiful open-ended games where the solutions are as elegant or sloppy as you make them. He also made TIS-100, Shenzen I/O, Infinifactory (definitely another fave), and Opus Magnum which was just released. He also made the game that Minecraft ripped off, Infiniminer.

Anyway, on a given level you're given an output chemical compound (e.g., methane) and you have a limited number of preset inputs (e.g., c=c and h-h) and you need to come up with a way of reliably and efficiently breaking or combining the odd inputs to create the output. Whenever I describe it, people's eyes glaze over but I swear, it's the greatest thing since diced potatoes.

I'm a sucker for Snes era RPG's. Earthbound has to take the cake with Chrono Trigger being a close second. The Castlevania series never dissapoints. Symphony of the Night is my favorite. Otherwise I like the Souls series, Katamari Damacy, Mario Kart, Turtles in Time. That old Simpsons arcade game that was in every pizza dungeon back in the day. I like way too many, honestly. Currently trying out Path of Exile.

Continuing the piggy-back conga, here's yet another favourite x thread.

On the Playstation 2 was a game called Freedom Fighters. It wasn't the most original; a third person shooter set in an alternative history where the Soviets were the victors of the Second World War and completed the atom bomb first. You play as a plumber (durr) who finds himself the unwilling leader of an underground resisting a Soviet invasion of the continental United States.

Playing the game however, is pure awesome. The devs planted a lot of little hidey-holes and secondary routes. Your player character can run, jump, and climb to use cover and get the drop on your enemies in all sorts of creative ways. The levels are perfectly adapted to this run-climb-and-gun gameplay. I think this is the single-player campaign game I've played the most.

While the gunplay lacks the punch of something like GTA IV+, it's still tremendously satisfying. I love the whole scenario, the corny Russian accents, fighting in the snow with scavenged AKs, dodging Russian gunships.

There's a simple but neat and satisfying system where levels are split into areas. Each area will have objectives, and completing a goal in one area may help with another. E.g., Grab the C4 from area 1. Snipers stop your advance, so you head to area 2 to get behind them and blow up their nest. Head back to area 1 where there's a gunship landing pad. Blow up the gunship to make area 3 safer since that gunship won't cut you down in 2 seconds flat.

My favourite genre when I was younger was WWII shooters, and they've never gotten tiresome in my eyes. It's an era endlessly fascinating and I've always felt the better games were a way of connecting with a time and space I've never had the displeasure of experiencing.

Of those shooters, Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 was my absolute favourite. I've gone back to replay it recently and it still hits me, the grit and brutality. It was like watching D-Day in Saving Private Ryan for the first time.

Despite the visual fidelity being nothing like modern games, or the practical effects like Private Ryan, the game has a real down-and-dirty approach. It was the first game I played with liberal, colourful language, the first game I played where I felt the human drama really tearing me up, the first game with iron-sight aiming, the first game with a sim-like approach to gunfights (Where flanking and strategy trump popping people in their helmets behind cover, like you're the world's most amazing sniper, à la late Medal of Honour games).

The game provided not only this visceral gameplay, but every level on every difficulty provided an unlockable piece of art, history, behind-the-scenes video and info, and all sorts of things. I was always impressed with the sheer detail and effort these guys put into the look and feel of the France. They traveled to many of the battlefields, modeled the buildings and locales based on personal and surveillance pictures and on inference from modern photos, they read the after-action reports (Most of the game is based on those reports and interviews, right down to the characters).

For example, here's a group of devs singing a paratrooper song. It's sung to the tune of Battle Hymn of the Republic, but the lyrics take a rather more personal and dark turn, so characteristic of a soldier's bloody sense of humour.

You can see in the start of the video: All the tabs are missions, each mission has 4 difficulties. There's an unlockable for every single one and that's just plain wicked.

I'll stop there so this doesn't turn into me gushing over every game I ever liked.
Tie between Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Namco X Capcom.

Grew up loving hockey games like Blades of Steel back on the Nintendo and then have always playing various EA Sports NHL games through my Sega Genesis,Playstation,PS2,and now PS4 where my current game NHL 19 I have.

Have played football since my Sega Genesis days when I had Tecmo Bowl and Super Tecmo and then have played various EA Sports Madden games through my Sega Genesis,Playstation,PS2,and PS4 where my current game Madden 20 I have.

Have played EA Eports NASCAR games through my Playstation,PS2,and PS4 where my current game is NASCAR Heat 2 I have.

Back