Music Discussion

I guess I'm not expressing myself well . I'm not denying that the man had talent . I am just saying that I think Queen's explosion in popularity was due to the circumstances and his untimely passing . Kind of like with Lincoln , JFK , Joplin , Hendrix , Morrison , Lynyrd Skynyrd , etc .
tragedy seems to make humans turn talent into legends .

As a kid I hanged with punks and grew listening and loving it. Sure I love all kinds of music. Couldn't live without music. Lately been listening Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Massive Attack, Miles Davis, Dead Kennedys, Flipper, Cure, Nirvana, Death Grips, David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix, Butthole Surfers, Lou Reed. Somebody mentioned Queen and Zeppelin before me. Love them as well. I could go on forever. Right now I'm listening Bad Brains...

Last edited:
David Bowie is one of my favorite artists of all time, it was a shame that he died, I always liked how his works featured fantasies, sci-fi, adventures, and lots of stories in his songs, He was phenomenal, I like Heroes because it makes me live a lie I once believed in for a long time, I remember wanting a certain person to love me even if it was for one day, I never wanted my foundations to shake down and fall apart, but life is not really sentient, so you are having as much of a chance as spinning a roulette wheel.

I grew up listening to the early days of rock and doo woop. Bill Haley and hit Comets, the Four Seasons, The Drifters, etc. As I grew up I started to expanding into the later days, Mid 70's and 80's, finding my first favorite band that still holds a special place with me, Boston. Then, I found the amazing world of Progressive music. Yes, King Crimson, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Asia, Rush, just to name a few while also finding a deeper love and connection to the harder genres of metal. Bands like Pantera, Mastodon, Between the Buried and Me and eventually Dream Theater. I started finally going to shows myself, seeing bands opening up for others, my taste grew even further along with finding bands similar to the ones I liked. The Darkness was a pivotal concert-going experience. Not only did I see an amazing opening band in Foxy Shazam, I found a group of friends in them that I'd never thought I'd have. Experiencing different bands through time really molds you into who you are. I see myself as a metal and rock fan who loves the sounds of synth pop, doo wop, folk punk, classic rock and grunge with a soft spot for overlying themes and arcs in albums. If you know Dream Theater you know what I'm talking about.

A very bad pet peeve of mine is when people try to call Rap , Hip Hop , or Pop " Rock " . They are NOT , in the slightest way Rock . They are the lowest form of Musical Art devoid of any kind of talent . Produced just to squeeze money out of the sheep that follow fads of what everyone else that they hang with listens to . And it ALL sounds the same .

Don't get me wrong , I try to keep an open mind about everything . I have have many people try over the years to change my mind about that style of music . I just don't see any artist value and besides musically , lyrically , it's horrible . The majority of it is about doing drugs , abusing women , and killing people and Police, and of course money . Great message to the impressionable listeners who buy this crap . If you research these artists most were the geeks in school and they don't really fit the image they are trying promote . Most of the music is performed by computer equipment and just rhyming words together doesn't take a genius or poet just the average 6 year old . The music industry has dumbed music down , packaged it , and sold it to bored youth who sucked it up because they didn't have to think about it . They bought into the " Inner City Struggle " hype because it was trendy and what everyone of their friends were listening to . Just because a lot of young people think it's fashionable , doesn't mean it's good or has any value . It's Pop Music . Short for Popular Music which is produced for the sole purpose of mass consuming which means to make money . Young people say they hate capitalism but buy it up everyday , Unknowing supporting the very thing they hate . It's hilarious . Country Music is no better . You have every right to like what you want , and that's ok by me . This is just my opinion and I don't mean to insult anyone .

Back