Visible spectrum meaning !!

N

Noor

Today, trivia had a question on visible spectrum. It asked.. if we start from red , what is the other end that we can see?

VIBGYOR means a visible spectrum so obviously the answer was violet.
Now a guy answered ultra violet and trivia granted him a point based on the word voilet in his answer. To which he said one and the same thing i.e. Ultra Violet and violet are almost same and started confronting on the fact that he had broadened the spectrum and thus answered UV. It was really annoying discussing all this with him.

If a person is wrong, better to agree rather than telling false concepts in public platforms. Must not take things to one's ego.
Wonder how he could say UV light. If at all an eye can see it, it is that of some insects or of a person who has aphakia.

Sad to see him making people believe that his false concept was right!! So convoluted.. bc!!

The point, my friend, is your mnemonic device is inferior. That is all I wish to contribute.

Hey Noor! Human sensitivity to visible light is roughly between 400 nm to 750 nm, which ranges from the start of the ultraviolet region and up to the low infrared regions. However, our response to these end wavelengths is relatively poor, whereas birds and other insects have better responses in the ultraviolet.

However, most ultraviolet frequencies are invisible to us, so to say that violet and ultraviolet are the same would be incorrect. But this distinction is complicated since there is no clear boundary where visible light and UV starts, except for an arbitrary decision at 400 nm.

Lastly, and I may be wrong on this one, is that color sensing at least in human terms is interpretive. Most humans have only 3 types of cones which are capable of being stimulated by red, blue and green light. Depending on how much of each is triggered, our brains will interpret this as whatever color. Iono light is cool -- I'd be happy to talk more about it if you're interested! :)

Oh... and just for the record... light is more than visible light. It covers all of the electromagnetic spectrum, ranging from gamma rays to radio waves. Yay for science!

Back