Week 10 (April 1, 2018)

• Thread starter InvincibleLight
  • Start date
Alright, artist number 2.

Melvins, an absurdly prolific band that has...
*checks wikipedia* 28 LP's since 1983 (the latest one comes out this year), with EP's and collaborations on top of that. They've had the same core duo, King Buzzo and Dale Cover (both childhood friends of Kurt Cobain) since inception.
This band produces some of the heaviest, deepest, sludgiest metal out there and has basically inspired all musicians, living or dead, of our day.
Their bloody, murky sound is very unique to them, but they've also dipped their fingers (usually at least once an album, sometimes more) into a huge variety of sounds from country to electronic. They also do some of the absolute best covers. I recommend "The Ballad of Dwight Fry (Alice Cooper)," Black Betty" (Ram Jam style) and "The Green Manalishi" (Fleetwood Mac).

Melvins is a pointedly un-political band, as well as writing songs that have unclear meanings. An interview I watched recently had Buzz say they have no message, as "there's enough bands with messages out there." As such, Melvins songs tend to be very mystical and subjective. I myself definitely prefer cohesive and pointed lyrics (a la Father John Misty, MF DOOM, Modest Mouse) but Melvins' sound just does it for me and coupled with these surreal images they conjure up is so satisfying. The album "(a) senile animal" is probably my favourite for that sort of thing.

Back another day for a third. I would probably put the Tragically Hip, but I think I've lauded them plenty on this hoard already.

EDIT:
"A History of Bad Men"
Wake up, you never looked so glum
Tell me how do you know they can't hear us coming
It's easy for me, I got a head start running away

Keep up for your disease spread quick so
How did you learn to be sick, so cunning
It's easy to sing, but you just keep on humming along

Did you hear that? I got a real bad feeling
How many more do you suppose they're keeping?
Don't make a sound they're not dead, just sleeping

Last edited:
Alright, artist number 2.

Melvins, an absurdly prolific band that has...
*checks wikipedia* 28 LP's since 1983 (the latest one comes out this year), with EP's and collaborations on top of that. They've had the same core duo, King Buzzo and Dale Cover (both childhood friends of Kurt Cobain) since inception.
This band produces some of the heaviest, deepest, sludgiest metal out there and has basically inspired all musicians, living or dead, of our day.
Their bloody, murky sound is very unique to them, but they've also dipped their fingers (usually at least once an album, sometimes more) into a huge variety of sounds from country to electronic. They also do some of the absolute best covers. I recommend "The Ballad of Dwight Fry (Alice Cooper)," Black Betty" (Ram Jam style) and "The Green Manalishi" (Fleetwood Mac).

Melvins is a pointedly un-political band, as well as writing songs that have unclear meanings. An interview I watched recently had Buzz say they have no message, as "there's enough bands with messages out there." As such, Melvins songs tend to be very mystical and subjective. I myself definitely prefer cohesive and pointed lyrics (a la Father John Misty, MF DOOM, Modest Mouse) but Melvins' sound just does it for me and coupled with these surreal images they conjure up is so satisfying. The album "(a) senile animal" is probably my favourite for that sort of thing.

Back another day for a third. I would probably put the Tragically Hip, but I think I've lauded them plenty on this hoard already.

Melvins are awesome!

The recent lack of response is not pleasing to me, and it makes me feel as if Im wasting my time with these, so, Week 10 (This Week) shall be the last, at least for awhile, so let's make it a good one, shall we?

Let's talk this week about something simple: Music. What are your top 3 favorite artists? Mine are: Tokio Hotel, Linkin Park, and Muse, in that order.

Song of the week: Attention - Tokio Hotel
My favourite three artists:

1./ Rush
2./ K.D. Lang
3./ Beatles

Okay, here's my third.

It's not really a band though. It's an individual who's been making music since the eighties named Steve Albini. He was in three major bands that I am aware of: Big Black, Rapeman, and Shellac (current). Steve's bands are what I pompously call "real punk," though if I had to guess I'd say Shellac is classified by today's critic's as "post-rock" or "post-hardcore." I don't know much about that, but what I do know is that these three bands' sounds have this sawblade ferocity to them that I have never seen matched anywhere.
In large part this sound comes from Albini's aluminum guitars, but he's backed up by some real solid compatriots, especially the avant-garde drummer in Shellac whose name escapes me at the moment (EDIT: Todd Trainer).

Unlike the fecund Melvins, he's only put out a few albums with each band. Rapeman had one LP and an EP, f I recall. Big Black had 3 or 4 including some compilations and live material. Shellac have put out roughly 5 since the 90's (All these numbers are guesses and might be off).

Steve Albini is also a music engineer with his own studio and has helped in crafting some of the biggest albums out there, including Nirvana's "In Utero," often noted as their least radio-friendly.
Here's a list. I don't know if they're the "top," I'm just posting this to give you an idea.

Finally, Steve has abrasive words to go with his caustic music.
One of the most famous pieces on the music industry - Written by Steve Albini.

Cuts:
Shellac ~ Dog & Pony Show
Big Black ~ A whole show fer ya

hmmmm I dont really listen to much music but rn
1. Hamilton soundtrack (does that count? lol)
2. Maroon 5
3. Imagine Dragons/Ed Sheeran (kinda tied atm)

Forever and Always: Bollywood 90s & 2000s

Update: Top 3 are now Tokio Hotel, DJ S3RL, and Linkin Park, in that order.

Back