Favorite Book!

Since most people are talking novels here, I think my favorite contemporary novel is Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

But, I'm a bigger fan of non-fiction and the thread just said "Books".

I think the book that most influenced me personally is The Righteous Mind by Johnathan Haidt. Defending My Enemy by Aryeh Neier is a close second.

i did a long time ago but dont even remember i think i was sorted to ravenclaw and quit lolll i wanted slytherin ><
that just means you're smart and more cunning but always remember the sorting hat takes into consideration what house you want as well hahaha.

I'm quite some distance off the beaten path with my response. There are SO many books I've read that deserve to be on here (that aren't so far from the beaten path) but for me the one book that stands out the most is called The Passion of Command: The Moral Imperative of Leadership.

Favorite book? Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. It's a classic and highly recommended. (Yeah, I'm totally late with this topic. Oh whale.)

My favorite one is Harry Potter series.
It is a very dark story. If you think about it, there are lot of things morally wrong, that happen and left them be.
According to me, its a History by definition, they are stories of winners, and by winner, I don't mean Auror Potter, but British Wizarding world.
Each time you think on it, some lines you read as if nothing important happened there, may bring you to new mysteries.

P.S. I was sorted into Ravenclaw, wand is English Oak, Unicorn Hair core, 10" in length, Slightly Springy flexibility, and my Patronus is Bay Mare.

Since most people are talking novels here, I think my favorite contemporary novel is Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

But, I'm a bigger fan of non-fiction and the thread just said "Books".

I think the book that most influenced me personally is The Righteous Mind by Johnathan Haidt. Defending My Enemy by Aryeh Neier is a close second.

I can't take Kazuo seriously anymore after having to analyse "The Remains of the Day" in high school

Yeap, to piggy back off the movie thread, we are going to have a book one! Why? Why not! Besides, I do believe there are still people in the world that read...I think. Anywhooosss, my favorite book is actually a series (yes, i'm cheating. It's my thread!). That series is the Gotrek and Felix series from the Warhammer Universe.

-Awesome fight scenes? Yes!
-Insane, badass Dwarf seeking monsters to die in battle with? Yes!
-Reluctant Human sidekick who swore an Oath to write an epic death saga? Yes!
-Lots of shit getting killed? Double yes!

So, yeah, that is my pick, what is yours?
My fav is Pokemon Adventures Volume 7, although that's really a manga, so if that doesn't count, then Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident.

Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

Human born on mars comes to earth and tried to teach us how not to be so fucked up....absolutely fantastic sci-fi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wheel of Time is typical high fantasy - big nasty dark man threatening to take over the world, on hero to save them all yadda yadda yadda. But the way it's done is what makes it stand out. A lot of detail into different cities and nations and their cultures. Great, flawed characters, probably most of them female tbh. It's pretty cool.
Also, men who use magic go insane and kill everyone, so the women hunt them down. Neat premise

Agreed the overall detail is amazing....even a large cast has you feeling like you intimately know all of them. Great series!

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and American Psycho, The Killer Inside Me, Please Kill Me, Naked Lunch... I read pretty much everything from Hunter S. Thompson, Brett Easton Ellis, Chuck Palahniuck, William S Burroughs, Jim Thompson to name a few.

Fucking Naked Lunch!!

Also....I am not religious by any means but Siddhartha was probably the best religion based book I've ever read

Like Dafoo, Sandrock and angelique I also am a fan of A Song of Ice and Fire. For my favorite though I would have to go with The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
The alchemist, that's a nice book, I've read that twice.,but not my favourite...

Back