Share about your Country

A

AkshayGoodOne

Hi.

Getting to learn about a broad range of cultures and lifestyles is always an edifying experience. I want to roam around the world, talk to as many people as possible and develop a broad understanding of this world we live in. Unfortunately, I don't have enough money to go about it. So, I would like to tell you my version of my nation and I'd be glad if you educate the people who'll read this thread and I about your country. Lets share what cannot be found on Wikipedia.....Lets talk about what travel channels don't....Let's try to live each other's lives and be each other's eyes to this world. Let us know what your nation smells, looks, sounds and feels like....

So here's India, for you.

India is a land where the smell of soil is always pervasive. The sweeper's rustling his broom against concrete roads, Bells ringing with the scent of camphor and incense sticks in the temples, Loudspeakers propagating recitation of Azaans and Bhajans and the roadside vendors crying in the heat of the sun always accompany me on my way to catch my bus for the university. A lean, elderly gentleman smelling of mustard oil and tobacco vapes his smoke, mixing it along with the cloud of dust that the sweeper carefully creates. The buildings age and go dilapidated, grow sprouts of trees, get their paints washed off and show scars. Everything here, have scars that speak myriad stories - From the heart symbols, with initials of the participating love-birds engraved on monuments, the glass panes smudged with little drops of paint to the faces of people who reek of the spirit to accept struggle in life. The means of transport may sometimes carry the number of people double the capacity, for the drivers have a big heart. There's still always room for every one in a densely populated country like ours.

This cocktail of traditions and cultures, a marriage of several beliefs, may compel a Sikh to enjoy Dhokla (A Gujarati Cuisine) and a Muslim to marvel at the taste of Pizzas. This is a land where relations often surpass duty, and that acceptance and patience makes people mess up the system sometimes. Yes, there are disoriented people in my country, who cross limits which our culture disapproves of, who take roads that shouldn't be taken and make us feel ashamed, but there is always room for all things here. So there's room for improvement as well. Just a proper rearrangement of things would do.

Power Cuts were our way of partying as children during the night. The thrill to run on soiled grounds, hide behind debris of bricks, stones and sand and cross ways with nonchalant stray cows and dogs, could never be matched.
Washing feet when coming home after long hours of work is a relief. This is a land where blessings are the currency that enrich people's lives, and people involve in kind and humble deeds to earn that spiritual currency from all. Our people are a bit afraid of change, but they eventually do and always fine with it. Like I keep saying, there's room for everything in India...and so is for change.

Our tastes in Foods go extreme.....Sweet, Spicy, Bitter, Sour, Salty....You name the taste, we'll define the limit in our foods. Colors.....Oh we love them and express our feelings through them..This language of colors is an unofficial one, among the various regional languages that are spoken. We're always experimenting with adopting and imitating other cultures that travelers in the past brought to our nation.....Be it cuisine, clothing, festivals or even ideologies...We try to understand them by following them.

Even though the boundaries of my land are surrounded by either huge mountain ranges or water bodies, its map seems like a person spreading his arms to accept everything. Yeah, we're a sensitive and emotional lot and might appear defensive, but we want to let our hearts out for the world.

Thank You
Waiting for your version of your nation.

I really, really enjoyed this. I may do one as well, though I will have to think on it as I'll want to describe to the senses my hometown rather than current residence. It will be a nice trip into memory and I thank you in advance for bringing it on.

Hi.

Getting to learn about a broad range of cultures and lifestyles is always an edifying experience. I want to roam around the world, talk to as many people as possible and develop a broad understanding of this world we live in. Unfortunately, I don't have enough money to go about it. So, I would like to tell you my version of my nation and I'd be glad if you educate the people who'll read this thread and I about your country. Lets share what cannot be found on Wikipedia.....Lets talk about what travel channels don't....Let's try to live each other's lives and be each other's eyes to this world. Let us know what your nation smells, looks, sounds and feels like....

India is a land where the smell of soil is always pervasive. The sweeper's rustling his broom against concrete roads, Bells ringing with the scent of camphor and incense sticks in the temples, Loudspeakers propagating recitation of Azaans and Bhajans and the roadside vendors crying in the heat of the sun always accompany me on my way to catch my bus for the university. A lean, elderly gentleman smelling of mustard oil and tobacco vapes his smoke, mixing it along with the cloud of dust that the sweeper carefully creates. The buildings age and go dilapidated, grow sprouts of trees, get their paints washed off and show scars. Everything here, have scars that speak myriad stories - From the heart symbols, with initials of the participating love-birds engraved on monuments, the glass panes smudged with little drops of paint to the faces of people who reek of the spirit to accept struggle in life. The means of transport may sometimes carry the number of people double the capacity, for the drivers have a big heart. There's still always room for every one in a densely populated country like ours.

This cocktail of traditions and cultures, a marriage of several beliefs, may compel a Sikh to enjoy Dhokla (A Gujarati Cuisine) and a Muslim to marvel at the taste of Pizzas. This is a land where relations often surpass duty, and that acceptance and patience makes people mess up the system sometimes. Yes, there are disoriented people in my country, who cross limits which our culture disapproves of, who take roads that shouldn't be taken and make us feel ashamed, but there is always room for all things here. So there's room for improvement as well. Just a proper rearrangement of things would do.

Power Cuts were our way of partying as children during the night. The thrill to run on soiled grounds, hide behind debris of bricks, stones and sand and cross ways with nonchalant stray cows and dogs, could never be matched.
Washing feet when coming home after long hours of work is a relief. This is a land where blessings are the currency that enrich people's lives, and people involve in kind and humble deeds to earn that spiritual currency from all. Our people are a bit afraid of change, but they eventually do and always fine with it. Like I keep saying, there's room for everything in India...and so is for change.

Our tastes in Foods go extreme.....Sweet, Spicy, Bitter, Sour, Salty....You name the taste, we'll define the limit in our foods. Colors.....Oh we love them and express our feelings through them..This language of colors is an unofficial one, among the various regional languages that are spoken. We're always experimenting with adopting and imitating other cultures that travelers in the past brought to our nation.....Be it cuisine, clothing, festivals or even ideologies...We try to understand them by following them.

Even though the boundaries of my land are surrounded by either huge mountain ranges or water bodies, its map seems like a person spreading his arms to accept everything. Yeah, we're a sensitive and emotional lot and might appear defensive, but we want to let our hearts out for the world.

Thank You
Akashayyyyy I hate you now...All I want to do now is go back to India and experience it from your eyes *pouts* <3

I really, really enjoyed this. I may do one as well, though I will have to think on it as I'll want to describe to the senses my hometown rather than current residence. It will be a nice trip into memory and I thank you in advance for bringing it on.

Well, My aim to begin this thread was to get to know the people here closer and Understand their feelings when they live their lives in their country. I would really get to learn a lot by this. Hope the same for all people out here :)

Your contribution is highly welcome and revered, Pal :D

This would be perfect for an essay/book. What.a.description. Nicely done akshay might have to go there one day!

Hi.

Thank You

Hey Akshay, so beautifully written, I was picturing it all in my mind as I was reading, thank you for sharing. I would love to reply and write about Australia, but I couldn't even come close to matching your beautiful words xx

Hey Akshay, so beautifully written, I was picturing it all in my mind as I was reading, thank you for sharing. I would love to reply and write about Australia, but I couldn't even come close to matching your beautiful words xx

Glad you liked it, Sun....My pleasure. Thanks for reading.

Alright, here's my attempt...

"There are 7 months of snow, two months rain and the remainder mosquitoes and black flies" ~ Early Ontarian
Northern Ontario is a place I didn't appreciate while I had it, and now that I've lost it the separation arouses a romanticism that can't possibly paint it true. I hope the future holds a return to the green and white North.

There's a song by a Canadian group that describes Northern Ontario thus:
"We've got rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees and water" ~ Arrogant Worms - "Rocks and Trees"
The song speaks true. Travel amid the pines on highways scoring the Canadian Shield is maligned as an exercise in monotony and frustration. I understand the sentiment but I find myself in complete opposition. It takes me six to seven hours to drive to my hometown depending on the music I load up for the trip. At the one-third point the urban expanse of the southern province abandons its grip and a deep emerald forest extends to the Arctic, and the journey through this endless Taiga has always been an enjoyable one.

From crags and cliff faces to the middle of pungent muskeg and rivers, hardy conifers and dalmatian birch abound; their ubiquitous presence has always felt deeply familiar and comforting. Breaks in their density bring glimpses of slivers of the tens of thousands of minuscule lakes spotting the province north of Barrie, or the the uncountable interconnecting creeks and rivers. Low clouds often speak of rain somewhere else, and their cracks allow crystalline, oblique rays of light to shine down as though saviours were descending and ascending by the dozen.

The thick reaches were once navigated largely by canoe. The crazing waterways housed the dugouts of natives, and later the intrepid "coureurs-de-bois" and "voyageurs" who trapped and traded in the rich and hostile New World. The specks of sedentary life, some of which the highways now ignore altogether, speak to the sights shared through time: "French River," "Little Current", "Kapuskasing", "Algonquin", "Iroquois Falls", "Huntsville", "Killbear", "Amethyst Harbour". More "Harbours", "Islands", "Rivers", and "Lakes" than you can imagine.

The land resisted the automobile as it resisted the train. Establishment was completed only with tonnes and tonnes of dynamite, mere stings in the ancient rocky hide upon which the nation grew. Peach and ochre rock interiors line nearly every major thoroughfare, displaying their epochal histories for any who care to stop and look. Recent additions have parallel, vertical grooves perpendicular to the strata into which the modern explosives were inserted.

Scarcely a roadside promontory can be found that isn't displaying a traditional landmark - The Inukshuk. My own father would stop now and then and we kids would clamber the rocks' dark exteriors until we found a mossy vantage where we could gather and stack slabs in the rough shape of a person.

Apart from landmarks, natural and World's Biggest, the empty road always offers a sight of deer, raccoons (who always seem to be the least lucky), foxes, coyotes, hawks and crows. More rare, tumbling, sauntering black bears. Most rare in my experience, towering moose. Canadians, ever kindly, have erected fences to direct wildlife to massive animal overpasses designed to carry them over the dangerous motorized routes.

Stumbling across a city feels almost unfortunate. But plenty of large towns exist, almost all of them emerging long ago from some nearby resource, or as a checkpoint on the way to such a place before rail. Every one has a Tim Horton's, a McDonald's, and most of the convenient trappings of today.

I've traveled a little bit around the country and I'm often startled by the similarity from coast-to-coast. The topography and the sunrise are never once the same, but the streets, the dress, and even the accent (with the notable exceptions of the Quebeckers and the Nova Scotians) seem to vary so little it behooves to remind oneself that today these places are connected by flight hubs a couple hours apart. I've never been an adept people person, so no doubt plenty of subtlety is lost to me. Feeding Mallards and listening to lonesome calls from the Loon hold more interest to me.

I couldn't begin to sum the country, so I settled for one little tract.

[In the spoiler, I've added a photo and a painting. Not really the point of the thread (hence the spoiler), but I found them looking for other stuff so here you go.]
[Lemme know if you see any errata.]
Rock, with a lil' Inukshuk in the middle.
Inukshuk-and-blasting-cores.jpg

Painting by Tom Thomson - Pine Island
Tom_Thomson_-_Pine_Island%2C_Georgian_Bay.jpg

Alright, here's my attempt...

Northern Ontario is a place I didn't appreciate while I had it, and now that I've lost it the separation arouses a romanticism that can't possibly paint it true. I hope the future holds a return to the green and white North.

There's a song by a Canadian group that describes Northern Ontario thus:
The song speaks true. Travel amid the pines on highways scoring the Canadian Shield is maligned as an exercise in monotony and frustration. I understand the sentiment but I find myself in complete opposition. It takes me six to seven hours to drive to my hometown depending on the music I load up for the trip. At the one-third point the urban expanse of the southern province abandons its grip and a deep emerald forest extends to the Arctic, and the journey through this endless Taiga has always been an enjoyable one.

From crags and cliff faces to the middle of pungent muskeg and rivers, hardy conifers and dalmatian birch abound; their ubiquitous presence has always felt deeply familiar and comforting. Breaks in their density bring glimpses of slivers of the tens of thousands of minuscule lakes spotting the province north of Barrie, or the the uncountable interconnecting creeks and rivers. Low clouds often speak of rain somewhere else, and their cracks allow crystalline, oblique rays of light to shine down as though saviours were descending and ascending by the dozen.

The thick reaches were once navigated largely by canoe. The crazing waterways housed the dugouts of natives, and later the intrepid "coureurs-de-bois" and "voyageurs" who trapped and traded in the rich and hostile New World. The specks of sedentary life, some of which the highways now ignore altogether, speak to the sights shared through time: "French River," "Little Current", "Kapuskasing", "Algonquin", "Iroquois Falls", "Huntsville", "Killbear", "Amethyst Harbour". More "Harbours", "Islands", "Rivers", and "Lakes" than you can imagine.

The land resisted the automobile as it resisted the train. Establishment was completed only with tonnes and tonnes of dynamite, mere stings in the ancient rocky hide upon which the nation grew. Peach and ochre rock interiors line nearly every major thoroughfare, displaying their epochal histories for any who care to stop and look. Recent additions have parallel, vertical grooves perpendicular to the strata into which the modern explosives were inserted.

Scarcely a roadside promontory can be found that isn't displaying a traditional landmark - The Inukshuk. My own father would stop now and then and we kids would clamber the rocks' dark exteriors until we found a mossy vantage where we could gather and stack slabs in the rough shape of a person.

Apart from landmarks, natural and World's Biggest, the empty road always offers a sight of deer, raccoons (who always seem to be the least lucky), foxes, coyotes, hawks and crows. More rare, tumbling, sauntering black bears. Most rare in my experience, towering moose. Canadians, ever kindly, have erected fences to direct wildlife to massive animal overpasses designed to carry them over the dangerous motorized routes.

Stumbling across a city feels almost unfortunate. But plenty of large towns exist, almost all of them emerging long ago from some nearby resource, or as a checkpoint on the way to such a place before rail. Every one has a Tim Horton's, a McDonald's, and most of the convenient trappings of today.

I've traveled a little bit around the country and I'm often startled by the similarity from coast-to-coast. The topography and the sunrise are never once the same, but the streets, the dress, and even the accent (with the notable exceptions of the Quebeckers and the Nova Scotians) seem to vary so little it behooves to remind oneself that today these places are connected by flight hubs a couple hours apart. I've never been an adept people person, so no doubt plenty of subtlety is lost to me. Feeding Mallards and listening to lonesome calls from the Loon hold more interest to me.

I couldn't begin to sum the country, so I settled for one little tract.

[In the spoiler, I've added a photo and a painting. Not really the point of the thread (hence the spoiler), but I found them looking for other stuff so here you go.]
[Lemme know if you see any errata.]

Rock, with a lil' Inukshuk in the middle.
Inukshuk-and-blasting-cores.jpg

Painting by Tom Thomson - Pine Island
Tom_Thomson_-_Pine_Island%2C_Georgian_Bay.jpg

Beautiful words Telemachus, you write so well, I can feel how much you miss your hometown, thank you for sharing x

Back